- Our success as a firm depends on our ability to win and retain the best clients.
- As our Business Development Team Leader, you will be accountable for achieving results in the pivotal areas of Business Development (BD) and Client Service (CS).
- You will coach and support your colleagues who make up your part-time BD/CS team.
- You will equip and inspire your colleagues to co-create the greatest value with our clients.
- You will ensure that your team records all significant information within our CRM system, enabling real-time reporting of performance against expecations.
- One of your principal responsibilities is to establish and maintain a framework of negotiated expectations with clients throughout the firm with the goal of “No Surprises”.
- Planning and negotiating agreement about individual BD and CS targets within a credible overall business development plan for our firm.
- Coaching everybody who owns these targets to develop and implement action plans that make the best use of their time and inspires the confidence that must underpin effectiveness.
- Mentoring team members to improve proposals and client account plans.
- Holding people accountable to achieve these agreed BD and CS results and to learn from experience.
- Maintaining and continually improving our CRM system and processes so that we have the necessary records, reporting and forecasts.
- Reporting performance to our Senior Leadership Team and Heads of Business Lines
- As Business Development Team Leader, you have few direct reports.
- Your success must be achieved by playing an enabling role with your colleagues, who all have a wide range of other priorities.
- Almost everybody who plays a BD and CS role is primarily a fee-earner.
- You will have a continuing challenge to ensure that sufficient time is invested in BD and CS activity.
- Some of the people in your team may occupy the most senior positions in the firm and their expectations about BD and CS roles and activity may need to be challenged.
- Senior Leadership Team – responsible for delivering agreed BD and CS results
- Marketing – ensuring the best available integration of marketing with BD and CS initiatives
- Business Line Heads – delivering the mix of services agreed with every area of the firm
- IT & Systems – Making the best use of technology to minimise cost and maximise benefits
- HR – Equipping line managers with information that supports performance appraisal
- Finance – accountable for negotiating, agreeing and delivering BD and CS budgets
- Experience & Character
- You will have the necessary professional and commercial experience to shape good judgment.
- You will be an excellent coach, balancing encouragement and challenge as required.
- You will be sufficiently secure in yourself to allow team members to enjoy the credit for their success.